This is a tricky one.
We find there are two main reasons for this:
- Some bank transactions haven't gone through the Xero bank feed. They're recorded on your actual bank statements, but not in Xero.
- Somebody has manually marked a transaction as reconciled even though no money went through the bank account.
The easy way
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can look into it for you. We'll ask for some bank statements, and then just leave it to us!
The (really) hard way
- In your bank reconciliation summary, change the date (and click 'Update') so you can see when Xero becomes out-of-balance.
- Next, take a look at your actual bank statements (or online) to find potential transactions which may not have been included in Xero.
- Now you need to record the missing transactions in Xero.